Sunday, January 18, 2009

Great Week of Training

This last week was pretty big for me.  It was the first week of back to the grind at school, new format this semester at the PA program that is pretty heavy but I think I will manage.  The big thing for me is that I met a specific training goal that I had for when school started... I broke fifty miles this week.  I know, you might be thinking that 50 miles, that's not that far, but take into account my schedule: class 8-5 monday through friday, with only a one hour lunch break.  School typically requires 3-4 hours of reading and studying every night (there are quizzes every morning over the readings from the night before).  Add to that mix family and I love to spend time with my wife and daughter, all of these things combined and all of the sudden where is the time to run?  I set a goal at the beginning of the year to more consistent with my training and to reach certain weekly mileage goals, in addition to the typically weekly routine of types of run, and I got it this week, actually a little over... 56 miles.  My plan is/was to run a distance run in the morning before class and then do my specific workout during my one hour lunch.  This my be rough on the classmates that I sit by after lunch because I am typically pretty sweaty, but oh well.  

Balance is difficult to maintain.  It feels pretty awesome to be able to have a more than full schedule and pull off training goals on top of that.  I think I will shoot for around that mileage for the next coupleof weeks until I get used to a little less sleep, then start upping it until I reach the 70-80 mark by the end of March.  Hopefully I can keep my life in balance and order, while still improving as a runner and student. What really matters is that Brynlee is excited!!


No comments:

Post a Comment