Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Western Pocatello Skyline Loop

I have to admit that I have been down right awful in meeting my goal of updating this blog more regularly. Life seems to have accelerated around our home, between a heavy dose of school, big mileage training weeks and everything that is going on with family we have been running down right ragged. I decided to add some video from last weeks long run (that ended up being not so long because of my daughter's 3rd birthday party). The loop consisted of running nearly all of the western skyline visible from downtown Pocatello. The weather was pretty variable as well as the conditions, but all in all I was very happy with how the run went and how I felt the whole time. If you are interested in the loop that I put together don't hesitate to comment below maybe we can get out an run it together!

The first video is at the summit of Kinport mountain above Pocatello, about 6 miles and 2000' of climbing into the run.

Pocatello Western Skyline Run -1 from Luke Nelson on Vimeo.


This video is roughly half way through the run after about 4000' of climbing and running an awesome ridge line.

Pocatello Western Skyline Run -2 from Luke Nelson on Vimeo.



End of the run total of 26 miles and 5600' of climb and about the same of descent.
We had an awesome birthday party later that afternoon after the run!

On a side note I am very happy with how my training has been going up to this point in the year, especially considering a missed most of January due to my achilles injury. Summary of training up through May 1st:
Total Miles 1001.5
Total Ascent 151,000'
April Totals:
Miles 395
Ascent 63,000'

6 comments:

  1. You are running college mileage. When was the last time your body fat % was checked? I think I will pass on running that route with ya. 26 miles is not my idea of an enjoyable time and you said this was short. Next time I am up there you can drag me 12 miles up a mountain, so long as there is a car at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked like a great time. So much sweet trail there in Pocatello and until last year's P50, I had no idea. Next time I'm out for a kid soccer tournament, we need to head out. Good to catch of glimpse of the "fittest dog in America."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luke- do you know how much snow is on the Pocatello 50 course (specifically legs 1 and 2) after the snow the past week? A few of us may be coming up to run some of it, but would like to know ahead of time if it's passable or not. Not worth the drive if we can't run it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clint- hydrostatic check about a month ago 6.2%. Probably about the same now, I be be stoked for you to come to town and run again!

    Hank- any tourney's coming up soon? Now that your knee is coming around it would be great to get out for something longer than 2 laps on Carbo. I have another clip of Pedro (fittest dog in america) I might add in the next couple of days. He loves being famous.

    Jon- Leg 1 of P50 is pretty much totally clear, I haven't run too much of the 2nd and 3rd. There is for sure a mile or so of snow on the 2nd but I would bet it would be pretty runnable this weekend. Probably worth a trip up. Let me know if your coming I would love to get out with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luke- Cody Draper and I are planning on meeting at the end of Leg 1 at 9 am Sat (at City Creek?), leaving a car, and driving to the start. Run all of leg 1, and probably part of leg 2. You're welcome to join us if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon, Matt Hart and I are doing back to backs Friday and Saturday, depending on the weather we might day leg 1+ on Friday and leg 2+ on Saturday. It snowed a couple of inches here last night, it is going fast leg 1 will probably be clear faster than 2. drop me an email at slukenelsonatgmaildotcom and we can swap cell numbers to try to get in touch. On a side note when I ran leg one last week I noticed that the bushwack section from gibson jack to wild mountain on leg 1 is flagged part of the way up to make it easier to follow. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete